Your tools of your trade are the lifeline of your business. Without decent tools, you may as well not have any tools. It is my recommendation to not scrimp on good quality tools as you want your tools to last you as long as possible and to remain reliable. There is nothing quite as frustrating as having a repair in front of you, but the tri-wing screwdriver needed to get inside is missing or damaged meaning you need to re-order one which then delays your repair (and income) by a day or two! Remember, cash flow!
Must Have Tools:
- Screwdrivers – A decent quality screwdriver set. You need phillips, flat head, tri-wing and Torx. Try and get every size from smallest to largest.
- Multi-Meter. Does have to be mega expensive, but a decent quality one that will last you for many years.
- Soldering Iron – Variable temperature one with small tips for precision micro soldering.
- Anti-static Mat and anti-static wrist attachment.
- Pill Pots – Yes, pill-pots. The ones that are M, T, W, T, F, S, S and have 7, 14, 21 or even 28 compartments. Where else are you going to store screws! (in a bag you say? what!). Check out this post on how to organise screws during repairs
- IPA (must be 99% Alcohol) for logic board / motherboard cleaning
- Fiber Pen (to clean rust from circuit boards before using IPA)
- Data Vac – Although I use an airline with a built-in water filter in one of my larger shops, I found the Data-Vac is just as good, and very portable. Cost about the same as a compressor, very powerful.